Create your own adventure
If you have a favourite sport or a challenge you’ve been wanting to do for a long while then now could be a great time to do something about it. Either by yourself or with a team of friends, why not have a great experience whilst raising money for a fantastic cause?
Here are a few things to think about before you start:
- Choose a date that is best for everyone, giving yourself plenty of time both to organise it and raise the sponsorship. Finding out when other events may be happening will help with any conflict of interest.
- Work out a simple budget which includes all the costs you expect to incur and estimate how much money you will want to raise.
- Write a checklist of all the things you need to do so you don't forget anything.
- Make sure people know about your challenge. Talk to people at work; email everyone you know; put up posters where you can and don’t forget local websites. The more you spread the word the more you will raise. Remind everyone why the money is being raised and the good it will do. Check out our ‘Tips on raising sponsorship’ to get more ideas.
- Don’t forget about health & safety and make sure you do a risk assessment. Always use your common sense and follow the professional advice of equipment manufacturers and staff supervising any facilities.
- If it’s a very challenging event then it will need to be adequately assessed to identify, minimise and control the risk to all those taking part and members of the public who may be attending. Remember RICE cannot accept liability for any loss, damage or injury suffered by yourself or anyone else as a result of taking part in a fundraising event; the responsibility is yours. Check out if insurance is needed.
There is a lot to think about, but the important thing is that you have FUN, just like these did....
In June 2011 a team from the Raven Pub raised over £1,500 from an epic off-road mountain bike ride Wales End 2 End 2011
In May 2011 Mike King raised £1,500 by cycling over 90 miles each day to go from Land’s End to John O’Groats 2011
Many thanks to all for their support
If you have any questions or would like some advice please contact the Fundraising Office on email@example.com or phone 01225 476435